A Non-Chinese Chinese?

Many months ago, we were dealing with this whole horde of books.

20130127_165005

If you look closely at the piles of books, you would have noticed that the number of Chinese books was outnumbered by their English counterpart. I have noticed that too and had hoped to remedy that situation.

Unfortunately, I am no Chinese book reader. It takes me a loooooong time just to read a paragraph in Chinese. My usual joke is that it would take me a year to read a day’s newspaper from the first page to the last. It is that bad. Seriously.

I really do not want our princess to suffer such a fate. A non-Chinese Chinese?  And to that end, I am willing to pay the price and make some effort.

As part of the push to help princess read more widely in Chinese, I have came up with this:

20141202_123437

It nearly killed me.

We are slowly working our way through these model compositions from China. They are ultra tough even by my standards. The question that I always ask myself in disbelief is how is a primary school kid to able to write such stuff? I need to scratch my head harder on this.

I also bought this series of books which I found at Popular Bookshop. Well written and beautifully illustrated.

20141002_095811

And of course, I had a self-improvement book for myself.

20141010_095226

I am pretty sure that if this high dosage of Chinese haven’t killed me by end of this year, I should convince myself that I am not a hopeless case where Chinese language is concerned.

Comments